Graduate students can find support at the Writing Center in five main ways.
To improve their already-drafted writing:
1) They can enroll in our O-credit, 5-week seminar to workshop drafts of thesis or dissertation chapters, conference papers, journal articles, or other projects. This is the primary place where graduate students can find assistance with the revision process because experience tells us that the sustained support a graduate student gets from a writing group inspires more writing and more revision than meeting with a tutor (details and dates on the Seminars and Tutorials tab).
2) They can meet with a writing tutor to get coaching on how to improve a draft. Graduate students should meet with Eleanor for a brief intake session before scheduling tutoring appointments with a tutor. In these intake sessions, we will work together to determine reasonable writing and revision goals and then pair you with an appropriate tutor for a set number of sessions. This policy is in place to ensure that graduate students get the sustained support they need. For more information or to schedule an intake session, see our policy or contact Eleanor at firstname.lastname@example.org
To carve out quiet time to complete writing:
3) They can attend our day-long Saturday writing retreats, which occur on the first Saturday of every month (details and dates on the Writing Retreats tab).
4) They can attend our “Start the Semester Off Write” early morning writing retreats, which happen during the first four weeks of each semester (details and dates on the Writing Retreats tab).
5) They can attend our Dissertation Boot Camps, which run all day for four days in a row, three times per academic year (details and dates on the Dissertation Boot Camp tab).
Our Approach to Graduate Writing Support
What the Writing Center Can Help You Do:
– outline your project
– create a revision plan
– talk through big ideas
– talk about whether or not you express an idea clearly
– provide referrals to workshops, seminars, print and online guides, and other resources
What the Writing Center Cannot Do:
– polish your article for publication for you
– serve as a substitute for your advisor