NOTICE: Due to procedures implemented to stop the spread of the COVID-19 virus, all graduate services will be held virtually until further notice.
Graduate students can find support at the Writing Center in four main ways:
- Enroll in a 5-week seminar in academic writing to workshop drafts of thesis or dissertation chapters, conference papers, journal articles, or other projects. This is the primary place where graduate students can find assistance with the revision process because experience tells us that the sustained support a graduate student gets from a writing group inspires more writing and more revision than meeting with a tutor (details and dates on the Graduate Seminar in Academic Writing tab).
- Meet with a writing tutor to get coaching on how to improve a draft. Graduate students should meet with the Coordinator for Graduate Writing Support for a brief intake session before scheduling tutoring appointments with a tutor. In these intake sessions, we will work together to determine reasonable writing and revision goals and then pair you with an appropriate tutor for a set number of sessions. This policy is in place to ensure that graduate students get the sustained support they need. For more information or to schedule an intake session, see the Graduate Student Tutorials tab or contact Gabe at email@example.com
- Attend a day-long writing retreat, occurring on the 3rd or 4th Saturday of every month (details and dates on the Writing Retreats tab).
- Attend a Writing Boot Camp, which runs all day for four days in a row, three times per academic year (details and dates on the Writing Boot Camp tab).
What the Writing Center can do
- Help you outline your project and create a revision plan
- Give you access to peers and collaborators to talk through your ideas
- Provide feedback on whether or not you are expressing ideas the way you intend
- Connect you to writing seminars, print and online guides, and other resources
What the Writing Center cannot do
- Edit an article or paper for you
- Serve as a substitute for advisor feedback